Can you believe I have never tried Indian food? Although this meal still might not be authentic Indian food it is definitely full of spices and very delicious! If you love Indian food with a bit of a bite and low in calories, then this meal is for you! Watch the whole process from start to finish on Tik Tok
This meal contains 21 grams of protein and if you substitute the basmati rice for cauliflower rice you have quite a hearty + healthy meal for lunch or dinner! It also has far fewer calories than I was expecting, at just 270 calories (60 from fat) and the sodium here isn’t bad either —450 mg of sodium, which is fairly low for a frozen meal. The chicken and the rice are separated into two portions in the tray to keep the chicken from spilling into the rice until you’re ready to eat it.
While these portions are definitely meant to be eaten together, it is nice that you have the availability to mix them on your own terms (especially if you’re like me and prefer to eat it with cauliflower rice). It has a really nice rich, creamy Indian flavor to it for the basmati (or cauliflower) rice to soak up along with the good-sized chunks of chicken and tomatoes. At only $3.99 for a 12.5 oz single serving, I would say it is worth a try if you are on the fence!
Trader Joe's Butter Chicken with Basmati Rice
1 box of Trader Joe’s Butter Chicken with Basmati Rice
1 bag of frozen cauliflower rice
2 T olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 °F for 10 minutes.
2. Puncture film of Trader Joe’s Butter Chicken with fork to allow steam to escape.
3. Place tray on baking sheet in the center of the oven.
4. Cook for 25 minutes until heated thoroughly.
**Skip steps 5-8 + 10 if you forego using Cauliflower Rice***
5. While meal is in oven, heat 2 T of olive oil in a non-stick skillet on medium heat.
6. Empty contents of frozen cauliflower rice into skillet.
7. Cooke 6-7 minutes or until desired doneness.
8. Let cauliflower rice stand for 1 min before serving.
9. After 25 min, carefully remove hot tray from oven and allow to cool 1-2 minutes before serving.
10. Mix chicken from tray with basmati rice included in tray or cauliflower rice.
Have you ever tried Trader Joe’s Butter Chicken with Basmati Rice? What is your favorite meal from Trader Joe’s? Are you a cauliflower rice fan or nah? Let me know in the comments!